Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thankful - Day 22

Thanksgiving Day. My belly is full, as is my heart.

We added a new tradition to our holiday this year. Since Thea plays with the marching band, the four of us attended the town's Thanksgiving Day football game this morning. Westford lost by one point, but the band played well.

As we have done just about every year since we got married, we went to Greg's parents house for dinner, then to my family's house for dessert. But this year, I had no parents to visit. 

I've been sad all week, thinking about my Mom. I made the mistake of writing some memories in my office before class yesterday and had to run to the ladies room to hide my tears. So, I've been bracing myself for a tough day; and it was tough. But, I made it to the end of the day with no tears. Perhaps it was the distraction of the football game, or my in-laws delicious meal, or the comfort of being with my sisters later in the day; perhaps it was just the loving touch of my worried husband - I don't know what held away my tears. But, I'm glad for it. 

I know to welcome tears when they need to be shed, but I appreciated the relative calm today. I know the tears will return. I miss my parents, and this first round of holidays without Mom is not easy. But, remembering her love, with and without tears, is an important part of my holiday.

I was blessed with wonderful parents. They were the perfect parents for me; I am always thankful for that. Today, as I leaned against my husband and felt his concerned gaze fall upon me, I couldn't help but think of the amazing love my parents had for each other. I am so thankful for the model of love they gave me. They loved each other completely, and I was blessed to have been a witness to it. 

Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment